This seemed like a fitting first recipe post since its 3 sleeps until christmas!
I’m going to give this recipe another try when I get home from holiday visits, I had no idea about the plethora of all purpose flour substitutes out there! Midland, TX certainly isn’t the best place to get heath foods but I’ll definitely be going to check out what I get my hands on!
A list of flours to try and their hype will be included at the bottom of this recipe!
HOLIDAY BANANA BREAD
-2 cups of whole wheat flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup butter (I like to use real grass fed butter! butter substitutes are no good because of the way they are processed!)
-3/4 cup coconut sugar (this has a lower glycemic index than the brown sugar that was in the original recipe I found)
-2 1/2 mashed over-ripe bananas
-walnuts (optional so as many as your little heart desires!)
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1 teaspoon nutmeg
-1 teaspoon cloves
GUYS these spices really make the whole thing!
Preheat oven to 350!
combine eggs butter and sugar in one bowl and the rest of the dry ingredients in another.
combine all ingredients and bake for about an hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.
I added walnuts to the top of mine but thats all up to how nutty your feelin’!
Flours to try!
- Banana flour! – (seems meant to be right?) this is gluten and grain free and can be used in place of any self rising flour as well
- Almond flour – this one was recommended for baking and is also gluten and grain free
- Tapioca flour – gluten and grain free and adds a tint bit of sweetness!
- Pumpkin seed meal – adds pumpkin flavor and is gluten grain and nut free (I’m really excited about this one!)
- Quinoa flour – should not be used alone but is one of the most nutritious flour available!